Walked off to look for…

For quite some time now I’ve been considering a backpacking tour of America. Obviously this is, for the moment, something of a pipe dream. Our family and financial situation mean that it would have to wait for a very long time, or possibly not happen at all.

However that does not stop me dreaming about it, and I’ve decided to make a note of some of the places I’d like to go and things I’d like to do.

• Memphis, Tennessee. Home of The King! Enough said.
  • Wal-Mart. Any Wal-Mart, anywhere. We hear a lot about the people who shop there, and I’d like to see them for myself!
  • Chicago, Illinois. I’m not quite sure why, I guess I’m just fascinated by hearing about how a once-grand city has gone totally downhill.
  • ‘Area 51’. Not because I really believe I’ll see anything spectacular or sinister, but I guess it’s just one of those things… if you’ve ever been an X-Files fan, you’ve just got to go there!
  • Yellowstone National Park. Because it sounds incredible.
  • Louisiana. Because, ZOMG, swamps and Cajuns and jazz and other astonishing things.
Those are the things that spring immediately to mind, in no particular order. Yes, I am aware that it is sad to include a trip to Wal-Mart. However, no doubt the list will grow, and one day I’ll look at this blog and realise my trip is all planned out!

8 thoughts on “Walked off to look for…

1. chantell says:

Yellowstne – to look for Yogi Bear 🙂

2. Brad says:

You might be thinking of Detroit, Michigan as a city notorious for its decline.

I can assure you that Chicago, Illinois is still a great city. It’s thriving global financial, business and cultural capital at the heart of the third largest metropolitan area in the USA home to around 9.8m people. Cultural capital of the American Midwest, home to Boeing, Kraft foods, McDonalds, United Airlines, the Cubs, White Sox, the Bears and the Bulls, it’s a capital for music, sport, culture and thought hosting two of the world’s great Universities (Chicago and Northwestern). It’s the home town of Barak Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Milton Friedman, Steve Carell, Bill Murray, Harrison Ford, Tina Fey and others. The city burnt to the ground in 1871 and what emerged from the ruins was the first modem city, it’s a history of 20th century architecture in a few city blocks. This legacy makes it the backdrop for a huge range of films from the Dark Knight to the Blues Brothers.

It’s also the city where my company began and is still headquartered. It’s worth a visit. Just don’t go there in winter; it’s goddamm cold.

• stace8383 says:

Well, there you go. I really did think it was Chicago, but clearly I was mistaken. Did you just copy & paste all that from Wikipedia, or do you actually know all that stuff off the top of your head?? Either way, it sounds like it is an interesting place, so it can stay on the list AS WELL as Detroit!

• Brad says:

Bill Murray and Harrison Ford I wan’t sure about so I looked them up – I also checked the spelling of Friedman and the population figure. The rest I knew. It’s my third-favourite city.

• stace8383 says:

What are your favourite and second favourite??

3. Brad says:

Ok. So your question intrigued me and I couldn’t separate London and New York. So I did a spreadsheet ranking cities against totally objective criteria. Turns out London and New York are equal first and second. Chicago third as expected and Paris fourth (who knew).

• stace8383 says:

You didn’t have to take it so seriously, I was only wondering. 😉 I do love London, although I think my absolute favourite city is probably Barcelona… you’ve never been to Spain, have you? (Hang on, this is my brother isn’t it, and not some other random Brad??)

• Brad says:

yes it’s your brother. no, I’ve not been to Spain – Portugal is the closest I’ve been.