Bake ‘n’ Shake

The Maternal Child Health nurse came to visit us today, to check on Evelyn and I. She was quite nice, and a lot of the information she covered was normal, common sense stuff. She also mentioned that Aidan and I should get our whooping cough vaccinations updated, and a couple of other helpful things. It was, on the whole, a helpful and beneficial visit from a lovely nurse.

They seriously have to give this to people??

But she did give us one brochure that simply boggles the brain.

It’s NOT ok to shake BABIES

Really? They have to tell people this? It’s such a problem that the State Government of Victoria has deemed it necessary to spend money on putting one of these brochures into every pack for every new parent?

I’m just astounded. I shouldn’t be, I know. There are crap parents out there, there are people who simply don’t know any better. But I would have assumed that those people were the minority, the exception to the rule, as opposed to being halfway normal.

My society worries me.

7 thoughts on “Bake ‘n’ Shake

1. Melissa says:

Totally agree about the brochure. Are you finding that you’re being given the same sort of info for #2 as you had for #1? I found that and it bugged me. After all, #1 had survived to 2 years of age!! Sorry, rant over.

• stace8383 says:

Yeah, a lot of it is the same. But this lady was much nicer than the woman who did it for #1. That first woman, who came when Elspeth was a couple of weeks old, was really abrasive and abrupt, and I don’t think I actually took a lot in from what she said because of her attitude. Mostly I just felt abused and insulted! This time around was much nicer. hehe

2. Kez says:

I find that the font and the silly happy face seems a little weird considering the topic of the brochure!

3. Maelin says:

They ARE in the minority. Does that mean the government should give up on trying to stop the practice?

• stace8383 says:

Maelin, I guess I just didn’t expect it to be so common as to require a brochure to go to everyone… but you’re right, of course, kudos to the government for making an effort. However unnecessary I wish it was.

4. Expat Mammy says:

It’s not ok to shake babies…….If they feel they have to give these to some parents surely social services should be involved already. I should think it commonsence isn’t it dont shake you baby. I would quite insulted if they gave this to me. It’s good to see the gov doing something but why not put the money to better uses like improving parent support

5. Chris Cariou says:

Even if those people ARE the minority, Stace, don’t be offended now, they don’t know that you and Aidan aren’t among them. I’m sure all those parents who beat their kids didn’t intend to. But they lost it. And they did. I didn’t hit my kids ONCE in all the time they were growing up. And they’re both over 20 and well adjusted now. Still. There might come a time when you just don’t feel like being a Mum or Aidan just doesn’t feel like being a Dad and the kids are crying for some parenting, even though you’re dead tired. People need to be taught that physical force won’t work in the long run.