Why I am not a Christian

Needing to read the Bible for university at the moment naturally brings to mind religion in general and religious people.

I was raised an Atheist. I don’t recall it being militant; it’s just that God and religion weren’t relevant to us. It wasn’t important and as such it was rarely discussed, as far as I recall.

But I do remember – reminded recently by my mother – trying to read the bible as a pre-teen. I sat at our kitchen bench with the huge family Bible (courtesy of my father’s mother), frequently making remarks such as “This doesn’t make sense!” and “But this bit contradicts that other bit!” Mum, as I recall, shook her head and rolled her eyes, implying agreement I think.

And so, this is the first reason I am not a Christian. I wasn’t raised one, and I was allowed to believe that the Bible made no sense.

As part of a conversation with a Christian lady recently, she said something along the lines of, “Of course you don’t believe, you weren’t brought up with it. I pray you find the truth,” which simply begs the rejoinder, “Of course you do believe it, you were brought up with it!” Her statement proved only that one doesn’t usually deviate from one’s upbringing. Such astonishing logic is hardly likely to sway me.

Part of becoming a modern Christian, apparently, is ‘accepting Jesus as your personal saviour’ and entering a ‘personal relationship with Him.’ Even if I wanted to, I wouldn’t have the faintest idea what that means or how one would go about doing it. The only way I can think of is to join a cult; apparently their brainwashing techniques are so effective that even the most cynical can be taken in. However I’d rather avoid that path, as I value what mental health I have left.

And so, this is the second reason I am not a Christian. The process of becoming one appears to involve mental acrobatics closely resembling 1984.

As an adult, the more I read or hear about the religion, the less sense it makes. It’s an instance of more knowledge simply leading to more questions. I’ve read almost all of the Bible multiple times (Old Testament and New Testament, and some of the Apocrypha), I’ve spoken to Christian people, and naturally I’ve seen Christian views portrayed in or by the media. I read Margaret Court’s piece in the Herald Sun the other day, for instance. Nothing that I hear or see makes the idea of Christianity seem any more logical or appealing to me; quite the opposite in fact.

And so, this is the third reason I am not a Christian. I am a rational, intelligent, thinking adult and I have made a rational, intelligent, adult choice.

10 thoughts on “Why I am not a Christian

1. Lauren says:

I absolutely respect your right to choose your beliefs (or in fact not to have religious beliefs) but I am also a rational, intelligent, thinking adult and I can tell you why I choose to be a Christian. Because it’s about grace, acceptance and pure love. It’s about knowing who I am and what I am about. It’s about wanting to live a life that emulates that of Christ, that is loving to all, gracious to all, generous in everything. I fail in this pursuit but it doesn’t matter. It may not seem rational but, unlike a cult, I can choose to leave this life whenever I choose because it is my choice. I have been accused of being delusional in my life and I’m okay with that because I am of sound mind. I know what I know, I feel what I feel . . . and I am glad to call you my friend.

Just like you can not understand why anyone would want it, I can not understand how anyone could want to be without it.

• stace8383 says:

The love of Jesus, as portrayed in the Bible, seems a fickle and demanding thing. Conditions attached, vicious threats for not loving him enough, the assertion that you must love him more than even your own family members… You’d probably seek psychiatric and/or police help if somebody real acted like that towards you!

• stace8383 says:

(prev comment not intended to convince or convert you, just my observation)

2. Chris Cariou says:

I was an altar boy, in the church choir, the whole thing. It happened to me similarly over time. They should adjust their rules so there is no admittance until you’re the age of majority. You can’t VOTE til then, why would you be mature enough to make a decision on religion til then? If you ask yourself why, unlike a lemming falling to its death, you can’t substantiate believing. There ARE dinosaur bones being discovered, so we know they existed. There is NOTHING proving Jesus Christ existed. But people believe what they WANT to believe.

3. CarlaJean says:

Thanks for writting this, Stace.
    I really enjoyed taking a Bible as Literature class. I do hope you are enjoying reading it from that point of view. Knowing more about the authors and editing, noting the contradictions and considering the history does make it an interesting read. I also enjoyed studying the comparison to other religions of the world.
    Again, thanks. I’m glad to know you a bit better.

4. toushka lee says:

Sometimes I wish I had a faith. It seems nice and there is a community component with church that I like. I used to be a Christian, but no longer am, for my own reasons.
    For awhile I was anti Christians. Thought they were all insane. But that’s stupid. I still think the nutbars are insane, but that has nothing to do with which religion they are, they would be nutbars either way.
    I have many friends that are Christians and I’m ok with their choice of faith. It doesn’t ring true for me, but I don’t think them irrational or unintelligent for their beliefs. Faith has nothing to do with intelligence. It is separate and not something that can be explained to those without it.

5. DaSbarc says:

I think it’s in the interpretation. I don’t agree with mainstream religious dogma per se, but I do see the value in ‘accepting Jesus into your heart’, which means to me, ‘Live from your heart with a christ consciousness of love, compassion and gratitude for all’. To me, Jesus is merely a personification of a mind-set. All religions have different characters and stories, but they all have the same point.. I guarantee that, regardless of how you label or classify it, living in such a way that your heart is in it’s highest vibration DOES improve one’s quality of life tremendously.. 🙂

• stace8383 says:

Unfortunately there’s another phrase that seems, to me, meaningless – although it sounds nice. “Your heart is in its highest vibration.” If you mean, to live in a way that makes you feel happy and fulfilled, I most certainly do that! But I do it entirely without religion.

• Chris Cariou says:

@ DaSbarc: I realize, first Stace, that this is my own opinion appearing on your blog. I am sorry, but feel I MUST. DaSbarc, I am with Stace. You are entitled to believe that we’re all brainwashed Martians or anything else if you want, including that God parted the Red Sea and there was a Noah’s Ark. But there are some who just DON’T believe it, with good reason. That’s a key word. Reason. Not Hope. Not Desperation. Not Life Ever After. If all the killings and rapes and robberies were magically stopped overnight, if all the world’s many problems were magically solved, there might be some REASON to actually believe a God existed. But it’s supposed to be all about faith in an entity that never appears or has any influence on anything. It is all so much garbage and we are smarter than that and aren’t a bunch of lemmings.